Monday 14 December 2009

The Maelstrom - works on paper

The maelstrom is a whirlpool set in motion by conflicting tides; it is the theme of one of Edgar Alan Poe's best short stories and to which I am indebted for my inspiration. This is not the first time that I have tackled this subject; in 1989 I produced a series of six drypoint etchings in the form of an artist's book which was purchased by the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. I have forgotten my original motive for that series, but now, given the present situation of the world, Poe's narrative seems an apt paradigm of our political and social situation. We are in the grip of a maelstrom and our only salvation, as it was for the hero of the story, is to abandon everything that carries us down to its destructive centre. Although inspired by Poe these drawings are not illustrations but rather meditations on our situation. I hope they may communicate hope rather than fear because Poe's protagonist finally escapes through the use of reason and observation.

Other drawings and a series of my artist's books can be seen at http://www.sinclairspress.com/

No comments: